- Dams and Water Resources Management is one of the ten (10) sections contained in the Organization MADA was founded on March 13, 2007.
- Parts of Dams and Water Resources Management established to operate three (3) dams namely Pedu, Muda and Ahning managed by MADA and manage the lake and catchment areas so the planting of paddy two (2) times a year at the Muda area can be continued.
- This part is also responsible for ensuring the Muda area receive supply of adequate irrigation water to increase the paddy production for the needs of the country.
Parts of Management Dams and Water Resources includes three branches, namely:
- Dams Management Branch
– Section of Handling and the Dam Maintenance
– Unit of Pedu Dam
– Unit of Muda Dam
– Unit of Ahning Dam
– Section of Safety Dam / Catchment / retention pond
– Branch of Lake Management and the Catchment Area
– Branch of Support Services
VISION OF BPESA
BPESA that intends to be parts of an expert in the field of Dams Management , Lake and Catchment Area Management.
MISSION OF BPESA
- Supplying water to make paddy plants two (2) times a year at the Muda area by including domestic and industrial needs.
- Operate and maintain the dam, lake and the catchment efficiently and the effectively.
- Monitoring the safety (safety and security) of the dam and related structures on a scheduled basis and in accordance with procedures.
- Planning and implement improvements dam facilities.
- Operate and maintain the facilities of the dam to allow paddy plants to two (2) times a year at the Muda area.
- Manage the lake and the catchment area to ensure sustainable and sustainability the resource the water dams.
THE MAIN FUNCTIONS
- Operate and maintain three (3) dams and the reservoir pond at the Pedu dam, Muda dam and Ahning dam and water catchment area covering 1,277 km2 and the total volume reservoir of 1,509 Mm3.
- Manage water dam resources to meet the needs of irrigation in the Muda area as well as water supply domestic and the industrial for the region of Northern Kedah, south Perlis and Pulau Langkawi.
- Supplying water for irrigation usefulness in the Muda area as well as of domestic and the industrial in North Kedah, South Perlis and the Pulau Langkawi according to the quantity required and ensure clean and safe water quality.
- Monitoring the safety of the dam (Dam Safety Monitoring) to ensure the dam always function safely.
- Provide technical advice to agencies / departments and the private sector as well as NGO-related implications of planning of development projects in the area of the lake and the watershed.
FUNCTION OF DAMS MANAGEMENT BRANCH
- Ensure the release of water from the Pedu, Muda and the Ahning handled according to procedures.
- Ensure the infrastructure and the dam maintained well.
- Collect, process and analyze hydrologic data related to the dam.
- Perform work on the detection of dam safety inspections (Dam Safety Inspection).
- Perform work on the planning and the dams development area.
FUNCTION BRANCH OF LAKE MANAGEMENT AND CATCHMENT AREA
- Monitoring the invasion and the unplanned development in the lake and the catchment area.
- Collect, process and the analyze data on water quality pond reservoir at Pedu, Muda and the Ahning.
FUNCTION OF BRANCH SUPPORT SERVICES
- Perform management administrative and part financial management.
- Assuring Pedu Dams, Muda Dam and the Ahning Dam always work and the are safe.
- Supplying water for irrigation usefulness to ensure continuity of paddy, two (2) times a year at the Muda area.
- Ensuring an adequate supply of raw water for domestic and industrial usage in Northern Kedah, Perlis and the Pulau Langkawi.
DAM BASIC DATA
|Construction period||1966 – 1969||1966 – 1969||1985 – 1989|
|Type of Dams||Rockfill with asphaltic concrete membrane (upstream)
|Concrete ambursen buttress with overflow spillway||Rockfill with concrete face (upstream)|
|Reservoirs area||52 km2||15.5 km2||12 km2|
|Catchment area||171 km2||984 km2||122 km2|
|Capacity Reservoirs||1080 Mm3||154 Mm3||275 Mm3|
|Contractor||Kajima -Taisei – Japan||(i) Balfour Beaty-Maju Sdn Bhd|
|Consultant||Sir William Halcrow||Consortium Jurutera Konsultant (SEA) Sdn Bhd. collaboration with Snowy Mountains Eng. Cooperation|
|Construction costs||RM 60 million
(Include tunnel Saiong)
|RM 80 million|
For inquiries and requests a working visit to the dams please contact the Management Department Dams and Water Resources at line 04-7728255
Operation of water release at Pedu Dams
Operation of water release at Ahning Dams
Overflow at Muda Dams
INTERPRETATION CENTRE OF ULU MUDA
The center is located at landing site fish Cooperative Fishermen at Muda Dams (KOPAM) Muda Lake. The purpose of this center is to be an informative center at Catchment area Ulu Muda. The establishment of this center is the result of cooperation between MADA and the WWF in 2013. Materials for the exhibition is the result of contributions from MADA, NGOs and the agencies with an interest in Ulu Muda catchment areas.
The target group of visitors was among school children, NGOs, agencies concerned. Any questions please contact the Office of the Muda Dam Unit of at tel 04-7521779 during office hours.
Building Interpretive Center Ulu Muda
Exhibit Space in Interpretation Center Ulu Muda
QUALITY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM MS ISO 9001:2008
Parts Management Dams and Water Resources has been certified with the Certificate of Quality Management (QMS) MS ISO 9001: 2008 since December 31, 2009 under the scope of the Operation, Maintenance and Monitoring Safety at Pedu Dam, Muda Dam and the Ahning Dam.
The implementation of the operation, maintenance and the monitoring of safety Dams at Pedu, Muda and the Ahning implemented according to the procedures in the MS ISO 9001: 2008.
Once certified with MS ISO 9001: 2008, it found that documented procedures have been successful in helping to perform the duties more efficiently and SPK document has become a source of reference in carrying daily task to ensure functional and safe dam.