The Regional Management Division (BPW) was established after the restructuring of the MADA organizational structure effective 16 March 2007. BPW is responsible for coordinating the planning and implementation of administration for the four (4) MADA Regions located in Kangar (Region I), Jitra (Region II), Pendang (Region III) and Kota Sarang Semut (Region IV) and 27 Area Farmers Organization (PPK).
To be the implementing agent for the development of the rice industry and to be the main driver of the socio-economic development of the farming community at the Regional level.
- Implement a modern, efficient, sustainable and competitive paddy industry transformation program at the Regional level.
- Operate an efficient and proactive water management system to farmers.
- Strive to maximize the income of farmers and entrepreneurs through the use of appropriate technology, accurate agricultural practices and through various other sources.
- Develop a farmer institution as a viable entity.
- Implement large-scale paddy crop management to ensure the increase in farmers’ income through increasing the area of business.
- Increase the percentage of compliance with the paddy planting schedule during each paddy planting season.
- Manage irrigation and drainage activities in a more integrated manner with the formation of Water Consumer Groups (KPA) in each irrigation block in stages.
- Increase the income of farming families through advisory services, guidance and involvement in various food industry and entrepreneurship activities.
- Empowering Area Farmers’ Organizations to improve the socio-economic status of farmers.
MAIN FUNCTIONS OF PART
- Coordinate and implement agricultural expansion and irrigation programs to ensure technological transformation towards increasing the income of the target group.
- Operate irrigation and drainage systems for successful paddy cultivation twice a year.
- Implement all operations and maintenance of irrigation and drainage infrastructure.
- Implement a program to modernize the plantation system and increase rice yields.
- Implement projects for various economic activities to increase farmers’ income and entrepreneurial development.
This division has the role of coordinating: –
- Rice Industry Development
- Irrigation And Water Drainage Operations For Paddy Cultivation Activities
- MADA Infrastructure Maintenance
- Food Industry Development And Entrepreneurship
- Farmers Institution Development
ORGANIZATION CHART OF THE REGIONAL MANAGEMENT DIVISION
REGIONAL OFFICES AND PPK MADA
* Please click here
SERVICES AT THE REGIONAL LEVEL
2. RICE DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
a.Padi Adventure Program
In line with the changing times and demographics of farmers and MADA officials, the Paddy Travel Program has become one of the methods carried out in each region in channeling information to farmers. In addition, the level of more effective communication and interaction can be increased between both MADA officers and farmers.
b. Mentor Mentee Program
This program was created as an initiative in producing a group of MADA officers who are skilled and can guide colleagues and farmers under the supervision of the Area Farmers Organization (PPK).
c. Science Talk Program
The involvement of officers and farmers in the knowledge talk program aims to increase self-motivation in carrying out work as well as foster a better personal personality.
d. Briefing and ‘Hands On’
The ‘hands-on’ approach practiced in most of these expansion programs aims to meet the needs of the industry while providing opportunities for officers and farmers to learn the necessary skills more closely.
e. Mechanization And Automation
The use of technology such as drones and mini-machinery introduced in the Muda area is seen to help farmers in carrying out rice field activities more efficiently.
f. Plot Agricultural Input Demonstration Plot
MADA always opens space for any government or private agency in research collaboration towards improving the quality of paddy yield in Muda area.
g. Application of MADA GIS
From 1970 until now, various data have been received and recorded by MADA as the leading agency in the country’s rice crop. Dumping data in various forms and sources has prompted MADA to introduce MADA GIS which collects all information to facilitate analysis and help management make decisions. Officers in the field are exposed to the ArcGIS application where pest and disease attacks are recorded by mapping methods.
2. WATER MANAGEMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE MAINTENANCE
a. Irrigation and Drainage Operations at the Regional Level
Irrigation system for paddy cultivation in Muda area is based on MADA Reticulation System. Water from the dam is discharged as required and channeled through the Padang Terap River to the Alator Pelubang and distributed to the Northern and Central Canals. Water from the Northern Canal is distributed to Region I via the Arau Canal while distribution to Region II via the Alor Changileh Canal and the Lana Bulu Canal. Water from the Central Canal is channeled to Region III and Region IV which also involves the Southern Canal.
This irrigation water supply will pass through the Secondary Canal and will then enter the irrigation blocks within the MADA locality. The water supplied for the use of paddy cultivation activities will be managed and drained to the paddy fields according to the needs of the paddy trees by the officers in the area.
MADA Reticulation System
The farm road network system in Muda Area includes primary / secondary farm roads as well as tertiary farm roads.
ii. Irrigation And Drainage Structure
Waterways include Main Canals, Primary Canals, Secondary Canals and Tertiary Canals. The length of the water channel according to the type of water available at the Regional level is as follows: –
Excess water from raindrops as well as uncontrolled flow from the catchment areas of the rivers is drained to prevent flooding and drowning paddy. Drainage operations are carried out in a controlled manner to avoid wastage of water. The main rivers for the drainage operation involved are as follows: –
v. Water Consumers Group (KPA)
Water Consumer Group (KPA) in Kawasan Muda was first established in 2015 in four (4) PPKs involving block ALBD 7 (PPK EI Simpang Empat), LBLBD 7 (PPK B-II Sanglang), SCRBD 1-3 (PPK F- III Pendang) and SCRBD 7b (PPK F-IV Sungai Limau). KPA in collaboration with PPK strives to carry out maintenance work such as cleaning of waterways and minor repairs of irrigation structures in their respective irrigation blocks through Participatory Irrigation Management (PIM).
Farmers will be grouped according to a unit of irrigation area that can function on its own, have the same importance in terms of water source, irrigation schedule, crop schedule and irrigation input as well as clear irrigation block boundaries. KPA was established to: –
a) implement standardization of paddy cultivation activities.
b) reduce water distribution problems in irrigation blocks.
c) maximize the use of water and human resources more sustainably.
3. Food And Entrepreneurship Industry
Along with MADA’s mission to maximize farmers’ income through various sources, several types of assistance programs other than the paddy industry have been channeled to the target group according to the set conditions. Among the programs include:
i. ‘High Impact Project’ (HIP) Grant
ii. ‘Change Update Product’ Grant (CUP)
iii. Young Agropreneur Grant (GAM)
iv.Economic Stimulus Package (PRE 1)
This program starts in 2019 which focuses on the target group consisting of Heads of Household (KIR) or Household Members (AIR) who are hardcore poor, poor or outgoing status with income not exceeding RM 2,614.00 per month and registered with the e Kasih system.
4. Farmers Development
a.Kumpulan Peladang Nita (KPN) / Kumpulan Peladang Muda (KPM)
Kumpulan Peladang Nita (KPN) and Kumpulan Peladang Muda (KPM) are a group formed from among the members of PPK. The establishment of this group is in line with the instructions from the Registrar of Farmers’ Organizations as an initiative in encouraging the increase of membership among farmers who have not registered as PPK members. Through this group as well, members are given the opportunity to carry out social, welfare and sports activities in addition to agricultural-based activities.
b.Strengthening of Farmers Organization